Want to Use Your Friends’ Nicknames in iOS? Here’s How
If you have a friend whom you refer to only by his nickname, it can be annoying to feel like you should use his proper first name when adding him to Contacts. Worse, then he shows up in Messages with a name you don’t recognize as easily. Here’s how to convince iOS to use his nickname instead. Open his card in Contacts, tap Edit, scroll to the bottom, tap Add Field, and tap Nickname. That puts a Nickname field at the top, under his proper name, for you to fill in. To get iOS to use it, go to Settings > Contacts > Short Name and enable Prefer Nicknames. From then on, you can enter your friend’s nickname instead of his proper name in apps like Messages and Mail, and iOS will also display it instead of his name everywhere.
Photo by JOSHUA COLEMAN on Unsplash
Moroe great iOS tips!
- New Organization and Editing in Photos in iOS 13 and iPadOS 13
- The iPhone 11 Camera App’s Shutter Button Works Differently: Here’s How
- Set Your Preferred Name and Photo for Messages in iOS 13
- iOS 13 Replaces 3D Touch with Tap-and-Hold
Do You Put Dates in Filenames? Use This Format for Best Sorting
There are plenty of situations where it makes sense to put a date in a filename, but if you don’t use the right date format, the files may sort in unhelpful ways. For instance, using the names of months is a bad idea, since they’ll sort alphabetically, putting April before January. And although the Mac’s Finder is smart enough to sort filename-3 before filename-20, most other operating systems are not (because 2 comes before 3). So, to make your life—and the lives of everyone with whom you share files—a little easier, use this date format, which is guaranteed to sort correctly everywhere: YYYY-MM-DD. That translates to a four-digit year, followed by a two-digit month (with a leading zero if necessary), and a two-digit day (again, with a leading zero if need be).
Got another minute? Check these tips out.
- Avoid Ransom Requests with a Unique iCloud Password
- Apple Music Can Be Your Personal DJ
- Did You Know You Can Make a Video of Anything on Your iPhone or iPad Screen?
- Did You Know Families Can Share Mac and iOS Apps Purchased from the App Store?